Saturday, April 16, 2011

[[Frugal Living]]

Definitely been noticing the a trip to the grocery store has cost me more in the last 6 months than it ever has before.  For a family of 2, we spend easily $120 per week on food at the grocery store.  Yes, we use the majority of it because I like to cook and make things.

The most expensive items have been the non food things like the detergent, cleaning products, cosmetics and all that jazz.....I've discovered a few things that will cut cost quite a bit.  It's taking it back to the basics. I was a bit skeptical at first, however, I've started trying some of the things and have been pretty impressed.

You can find more information about it if you go to http://www.about.com  and search for Frugal Living.  Here are some things I pulled off from there:

Using Vinegar for various things is highly effective. Once the vinegar dries, you don't smell it. There's actually no smell whatsoever. You just feel the cleanness.

Drain Cleaner
Pour a half box of baking soda down the drain
Pour vinegar to create a foaming action
Let sit unused for a bit
That will disinfect your drains w/o the harsh smell!

Oven Cleaner
On a cold stove, put a thick layer of baking soda at the bottom
Spray with water. Do not saturate! Spray until all baking soda is used up
Scrape the bottom of the stove to get the food particles out
Rinse with water thoroughly

Microwave Oven Cleaning
In a microwave safe bowl, put half vinegar and half water
Nuke for 2 minutes
Then dip a sponge in the solution and wipe the food off the wall.

Fruit and Vegetable Wash
Use white vinegar and water in a spray bottle
On hard skinned vegetables: spray with a bottle, rub in and rinse
On soft skinned vegetables: use same mixture, soak for 2 minutes then rinse off

Sponge Sanitizer
Use white vinegar in a bowl and soak the sponge overnight
Squeeze out in the morning and it'll be as good as new!


In the bathroom

Toilet Cleaner
Put a couple of cups of vinegar in the bowl before you go to bed
Clean w/ a toilet brush in the morning then flush

Mold and Mildew remover
Equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle

Around the House

All Purpose Cleaner
Equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle

Glass Cleaner
Equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle

Fabric Softener/Laundry Booster (tried this out today and it is awesome!)
1/2 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle (you can use a downy ball too!)
For a scent, add an essential oil to the vinegar

Acne Home Remedy
Use baking soda and use a little water to make it a paste. Leave on face for 15 minutes then rinse. It will harden on your face and sting a bit. Light moisturizer afterward!

Deodorant (haven't tried this one yet!)
Wash cloth and baking soda
Sprinkle baking soda on a damp cloth and wipe under each arm.

Laundry Detergent
Use borax - - 1/2 cup to each wash load


I am going to do more investigating and see how far I can get. I don't mind making things especially if it saves $$$ in the end.

I"ll update as I find more things!!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's very helpful! I have budgeted to spend roughly $175.00 every week on Grocery items for our family of 5 (not including cleaning products and toiletry items.) We are implementing our new budget starting the 25th of this month!!

    ReplyDelete