When I became of age, it took awhile for me to find what I liked to drink. I still to this day don't like beer even when there are times I wish I did because it was cheaper and easier. I just can't bring myself to like it because of all the pain it caused my family. I finally found vodka then tequila then rum then wine...etc etc etc....
During our "trying" for a child, it was always a battle of self control and wanting to just let go and have a couple. I never realized how much of a struggle it actually was to let go until one of the last times we did an IUI. The night before I was supposed to find out whether I was pregnant or not, I was doing shots of patron w/ a group of friends. It was one of those, I knew it didn't work, so why refrain from having "fun"? I was also in a dark place at that point and sadly, getting drunk or partying made me feel temporarily better. I always felt worse in the morning full of regret and a hangover. Alcohol had started to become a stress reliever or to have one just cause...
This is the first time prior to attempting to become pregnant that I haven't said, "let's get drunk since I won't be able to for awhile.." That must be a sign that I am in a much better place in life and I am respecting my body more. I have been able to maintain a calm perspective without any aids. I don't even crave it.
The last time I had a drink was on March 26th when we played a gig and they were free. Ever since I started taking my estrogen, I decided that no matter how I felt, I would not put any alcohol in my body. It's actually been very easy. I've made sure to work out more consistently to relieve stress. I'll drink some hot tea to calm down. I'll drink water to calm down. I really do feel tons better.
Now, I have also made sure to not be in an environment that would tempt me to drink. I have become more of a homebody during the nights and weekends. I'm totally ok with that. I know there will be events that will be at a bar but water will be just fine or maybe even a soda. :)
I am just proud of myself because I've resisted and now don't even want it. It feels good :)
Frank hasn't had a drink since December... and my last drink was in January :) We don't miss it at all!! Best of luck to you!! It's actually really easy when you have a good reason to steer clear :) I find that if I get a craving I pour a little bit of sprite zero over some ice and throw in a few berries and that does the trick.
ReplyDelete