Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Good Deed for the Day

Yesterday when driving home from work, I saw this very cute little doggy walking in the street in the neighborhood.  I was talking to Jon on the phone and said I saw it and wanted to pick it up, but Jon said, "No, don't do it!"  I hoped that maybe he had just gotten out of his fence and would eventually make it back home.

This morning, I see the dog again sitting at the front doors of the school.  His big brown puppy dog eyes were just looking at me.  He had the sweetest disposition and loved all the kids that walked through the door.  I could not let him stay outside in the cold since he had survived a night already.  Christine told me not to, but I could not walk away this time.  I went to the door and let him in.  He let me pick him up and even gave me a little kiss on the cheek.

Many would never pick up a stray dog, but it was obvious that this dog belonged to someone.  He is in good health, white sparkly teeth, pretty clean coat, short finger nails.  You could tell he was someone's pet.  So, I took him down to my classroom and decided to try to find his owner.  I took a picture of him, made a little flyer, sent it out to the staff to show their kids in hopes to return this dog to its owner.  I couldn't imagine anyone not wanting him.  He is just so lovable.

The kids really enjoyed having in him the classroom.   My partner was a real help too.  He would go and greet each student and when he was done doing that, he'd curl up under my desk or a student's desk to snooze.  He ate like a king because I gave him my cheese sandwich and even ordered a hot lunch from school so he could have the popcorn chicken.  I didn't know how long it had been since he had had food.

A student recognized that it was his dog.  At first, I was a little hesitant because this child has been known to not tell the truth all of the time.  He also said that he didn't have a name for the dog.  I had someone call home since his family spoke spanish and come to find out it did belong to them!  So, the owner came up to pick up our little Buddy.  Found out his name was JoJo.  When I handed him over, he just looked at me like, "no, don't do this!"  He was not happy to see his owner.  The owner was happy to see him and thanked me for taking care of him.  I had to fight back a few tears.  It just didn't feel right.

I slowly walked back to my room with a heavy heart.  I had to remind myself that I had done a good thing by taking that dog in and taking care of him.  It also gave a little joy to the 5th graders.  It made our day a little crazy but how cool was it to have a class pet if only for a day?  I was very happy to give them that experience.  The smiles on the kids faces were priceless.  Just pure joy.

I get a phone call from the office saying that the owner had a change of heart.  She decided to bring him back so that he could find an owner that would take better care of him.  She admitted that she hadn't known how long he had been gone and that he wasn't loved like he deserved.   She also has 3 other dogs that she has had longer.  She also said that on the way home, all he did was whine.  As soon as he got home, he ran out the door.  She knew that he was better off with us.

The kids and I were very excited.  Now, I had to figure out a place for him to call home.  It put me in a predicament because I already have 3 wonderful dogs.  I am already over the limit since by law in Kansas you can only have 2 dogs and 2 cats in one residence without a permit.  I know many people who have more animals than that and they never have to pay anything.  I would LOVE to keep this dog.

Jon thinks he is absolutely adorable, but having 4 dogs is quite a lot.  I do agree with him.  It took a little bit for Buddy to get accepted by the other 3 dogs.  Jazz, the other male, has been having the most difficult time.  He has been a bit whiny and needy of attention which is understandable.

It would be selfish for me to keep Buddy, but I just want him to be cared for and loved like he deserves.  He will make a wonderful addition to any family.  I will take care of him until we figure out a living situation.  I am waiting to hear back from potential owners.  :)

I helped give this dog a second chance.  I don't want to mess it up for him.

As I type this, they are all asleep on the floor, content as can be.  I feel good about my choices today.  I saved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment