Saturday, April 2, 2011

Working smarter not harder

Over the last 6 weeks, Jon and I have invested quite a bit of money into fixing up our house and traveling to KC for job interviews.  Today should have been my last interview in Olathe until I would maybe get another call back for another job interview or a position.  We spoke with our realtor a couple weeks ago to find that we had quite a bit more work to do and more money to invest.  Another zinger was that for us to break even we would have to get $100,000 for our home if we had to use a realtor.  There is NO way that our house would even be worth that amount of money.  This added a bit of panic into our lives because there were so many outcomes to this.

1.  I would get a job and the house would sell.  We would lose money we invested.
2.  I would get a job and the house would not sell.  We would live separately until it did.
3.  I wouldn't get a job and it would sell.  We'd have to say, "sorry, can't sell you the house."
4.  I wouldn't get a job and it wouldn't sell.

So, last night, after the longest week of my life, I broke down and said, "not sure if this is the right path for us."  Looking at all the obligations we still had to do, plus having to keep up with work.  It had left the exciting adventure side and swung to the high stress not so fun side of it all.  It started to make Jon and I bicker a little bit more.  Our savings account and bank account have been wiped clean.  We had worked very hard to have a savings account.  The stress of looking for work has finally taken it's toll on me.  Also, with how the budget cuts are going and how the house market is, it is not the safest thing to do at this point.  We knew all these risks before, but we were willing to give it a shot.  We were willing to at least get out there and try.

However, the decision had to be made to put this adventure on hold.  We are about taking risks, but this would have been something that could have seriously affected our future and it probably wouldn't have been for the best.

"The easiest mistake on earth is to forget to appreciate what you have right now."

5 comments:

  1. Shawna,

    I know you were really looking forward to this & I am sorry it's just not working out as planned. Sounds like you and I are in the exact same boat. We decided to stay at least another year and just hope things all come together sometime in the future. You always have such a great attitude about life and eventually it will all come together for you too.

    Thinking of you,
    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both. You are such motivated and hardworking people, and you can do anything you put your minds to. Wherever you end up, you have one another, and that is all that really matters. Hold tight to your faith in one another and your love for one another and all will be fine. God never leads you his Grace won't protect you :) -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. *God never leads you where His Grace won't protect you. (There we go.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies.
    We were looking forward to it, but we realized that patience would probably be the best route here. Even waiting a year, we would be able to make ourselves in a better position. It would be foolish to keep pursuing when we weren't even able to adequately feed ourselves or do daily necessity things. We were sacrificing to the point of not being able to function. Jon and I have worked so hard on making our marriage solid after a couple years of chaos. This was not worth getting between us. Who knows..maybe in a couple of years..we could move somewhere else like Austin, New Orleans, Chicago or even to KC. I mean really, we've waited this long, why not be smart about it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I am a bit sad about this decision, i TOTALLY understand it! You guys don't want to do anything that will set you back at this point. Jenny and I over the past few years have been challenged just like you are and it will only make you stronger in the end....both as individuals and as a couple! The best part.....KC isn't going anywhere, so when you can relocate, we will be ready for you!

    ReplyDelete