When I was in elementary school, I remember being in the computer lab weekly to learn how to type and play Oregon Trail. I remember that math and reading were fun because we were able to do many activities and projects. I remember that I was able to get 3 recesses each day and still get everything done. There were no worries about things getting cut It seemed to be more about learning life experiences. I learned how to be a good person by interacting with my friends in an educational and social way.
I became a teacher 6 years ago and have realized that unfortunately, elementary school isn't what it used to be. I often wonder with the amount of testing these students have to undergo, if that is all they will remember from their elementary history.
The last 3 years, I have taught 5th grade. It is a very rough age because they are changing and having to face things that they have never faced before. However, the toughest thing is the 5th grade state assessments! These test are ridiculous and I am so thankful that they are looking into changing them. For 6 days, the students are tested all day long on their math and reading skills. 3 days for one subject and 3 days for another. It is the LONGEST 6 days of the year!
Unfortunately, instead of teaching life lessons and giving experiences, we have to cram information into our students' minds from August til now on how to take these tests. Now don't get me wrong, every day is a lesson on how to be a good person - - it's integrated into the daily life just for the mere sake of survival. I just wish that it could be more meaningful. It's amazing to me that there are students who are not on grade level and yet they pass the state assessment. They have learned to cope by using skills that have been engrained in them their entire school career. Isn't the important thing that they are able to read, write, do arithmetic and be a positive leader/role in society? Since when is it all based on a number...a PERCENT?
I am not saying there is anything wrong w/ collecting data - - however, there is something wrong w/ how the data is collected when it seems that many teachers have turned to teaching to that exam out of fear of failure. These tests take out the fun in teaching.
There have been many times where I thought to myself....
Where is my creativity?
How can I keep these kids motivated to perform when there is no relevance other than not having fun classes the following year? How can I help them feel a sense of pride?
Should I go back to primary to where the pressure isn't so high?
How do these kids make it through the day w/o snapping under the pressure?
Will these kids grow to hate school?
Will this be all they remember especially those who don't make the cut?
Is this really going to prepare them for the real adult world?!
I'm surprised they don't do blood pressure tests on children to see how the stress and anxiety affects the students during the 6 weeks of testing. (each grade level has 6 days worth of testing - 3 days per week). There are students who seriously take 7 hours to complete a test each day! 7 hours! Because they are so nervous and so unsure of their abilities. There are also some that have turned into perfectionists because they MUST make a passing score. It's sad to see the 2 extremes.
I know as a teacher I can only do so much. I have to work with the hand I have been dealt and see what I can do to make them learn more than when they walked through my door the first day. I have had to learn that "what will be will be" "it is what it is". I still take it to heart when my students don't pass because I always wonder what I could have done better. The only thing that is something I can't give the students is the self-motivation. I can try to motivate them all I want....but they have to be able to remember their strategies, use them and keep themselves going. When we have to cut them loose and hope they remember all the lessons, it's very hard. I can't let this reflect on how I feel as an educator because I know I work very hard at what I do and am very good at it. I need to remember that I am here for the kids and not the tests. It's just sad that it seems like a conflict of interest anymore because of the pressure from higher ups.
Nothing can change the outcome of these exams - - - - it's not in my control.
Trey took his CRT tests this week. 4 full days of testing. We are very glad it's over. He was rather anxious. They have been studying non stop for them since we moved here (and I am sure they were studying for them BEFORE we moved here.)
ReplyDeleteKeep your chin up. It has to feel pretty good to have them behind you.